Top 10 interesting facts about the Great Wall of China
1) It is the longest man-made structure in the world by far.
2) It is a myth that the Great wall can be seen from space or moon. No lunar astronaut has ever claimed to have seen the Great Wall from the Moon
3) Great Wall was mainly built from rammed earth, stones, and wood. However bricks were heavily used in many areas of the wall.
4) Great Wall is a single, continuous wall built all at once is a myth. In reality, the wall is a discontinuous network of wall segments built by various dynasties to protect China’s northern boundary
5)The Great Wall of China is also known as the wanli changcheng means Long Wall of 10,000
6) During its construction, the Great Wall of China was called “the longest cemetery on earth” because so many people died building it
7) During the Chinese Cultural Revolution (1966-78), the Great Wall was seen as sign of despotism, and people were encouraged to take bricks from it to use in their farms or homes
8) When China opened its borders to foreign merchants and visitors after its defeat in the First and Second Opium Wars, the Great Wall became a main attraction for tourists